Hi all! Welcome to my first empties post of 2018! I think it’s neat seeing what and how much I finish in a month. I always learn something through these-how long it takes for me to use up a product, patterns. I notice that I don’t repurchase maybe 80-90% of what I finish. And not always because they stink either. I just don’t consider them staples or haven’t fallen in complete love. Some things I try just to try, which hey-never know what might end up being a favorite!
My journey in minimizing my skincare has been well underway, and I finished off a ton of products last year and have made a conscious effort to keep going and see what I enjoy, and of course I want to continue do the same with my body care and makeup. Skincare is just so much easier cause I use so many of the same things everyday. So let’s get into November:
1. Johnson’s Baby Shampoo. I actually use this for the intended purpose and not as a brush cleaner this time but I know it also works well for that. Simple and gets the job done. I will continue to use the second bottle I have to wash my son’s hair. I know it won’t hurt his eyes.
2. L’Oreal True Match Powder. I had this for a really long time and liked it. Never looked cakey or made my face look too dry. I would get it again if I didn’t have a million other powders I’m trying to get through, that and I am looking towards different brands like Hourglass or Charlotte Tilbury face powders way way down the line.
3. Hanae Mori perfume. I reviewed this here. Nice,warm scent. Prob won’t buy a full bottle but using up my samples.
4. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector. Didn’t notice anything spectacular with this, just wanted to use it up. I don’t remember the shade.
5. Ole Henrickson Pore Balance Facial Sauna Scrub sample. This stuff was nice! I’m a sucker for anything that heats up on my face. I pretty much like this whole line. This smells really good but not overpowering and I really enjoyed it! I’d be interested in getting the full size for sure at some point.
6. L’Oreal Pure Clay Mask-the green one. To me this was a basic mask. Not a bad one, it felt cooling on the skin and I think my skin felt OK afterwards, but I wasn’t crazy about the scent- a little too strong for me, not so much I couldn’t stand it but too perfumey for a face mask in my opinion. I don’t think I would get it again because it wasn’t love. There are a million others out there that I know I’d like more. I still have two other masks from L’Oreal that I will also finish.
1. Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm. This was sitting around for far too long and I decided to get serious and finish it off. I felt I had to double-cleanse with a regular cleanser afterwards. It does remove makeup, and I don’t know if it was just older or what but I didn’t feel like it rinsed off too well on its own. It kinda got in my eyes (no stinging, just made my eyes blurry for a sec) and also the balm gets a little gross cause you’re dipping your fingers in there. So while I didn’t mind finishing it, I won’t be repurchasing. I like more hygienic way of getting product out.
2.Clinique Acne + Line Correcting Serum sample. I like putting stuff on my face and this was no exception, but I didn’t notice any major changes with my skin. Then again it’s hard to judge skincare samples sometimes because you only get so much and need more than a few days to see how it really works. Won’t buy it but happy to have tried it.
3. Pacifica Jasmine Iris Oil Control Primer. I think this was discontinued, and I get why. I didn’t really think this was that great which boggled my mind because it had such great reviews online. Most times it would come out liquidy, and it I guess dried down OK but I didn’t think it was a superior product in terms of controlling oil.
4. Ulta Hibiscus Punch 3-in-1 Smoothie. I’ve used other Ulta smoothie scents before and this one was just as nice, smelled good. Honestly I used this more for my son’s bubble bath and not on myself this time. Doesn’t make a crazy amount of bubbles if you care about that kind of thing. Anywhoo, I’m more drawn to other brands for this kind of thing nowadays.
5. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in Light. I’ve finished at repurchased this so many times! I go back and forth between this and Shape Tape. Obviously I like it if I keep getting it. Shape Tape is a lot better in terms of pigmentation and maybe coverage but for drugstore and when I don’t want to be that serious, this is a great alternative.
6.BBW Hand Soap in Pumpkin Berry Crumble. Smelled yummy. This foaming one was good but we tend to fly through the foam ones. Who knows if this scent is a permanent one or what- this was from 2 or 3 years ago. I’m in the process of using up all of my Bath and Body Works hand soaps. They’re good, but I won’t be buying any more until the ones in my closet are used up.
Some essentials-I felt kinda weird showing a deodorant empty on here but threw it in so I know I finished it in December. Don’t ask. With that said, it’s one of my favorites even though the packaging is not pretty. So while Arm & Hammer is my go-to deodorant right now, I am interested in trying more natural deodorants like Toms to see how they compare. Supposedly the more natural ones are safer and better for you. And then I finished cotton balls. No long drawn out explanation there other than… I used up cotton balls. I still had to document.
What I Decluttered!
I got rid of so many shampoo/conditioners that were just sitting around or that I didn’t really love or reach for. The coconut ones I received free from Influenster, and while they weren’t bad and I used up a lot of it, I decided it wasn’t anything that special after all and I was tired of looking at them in my shower.
And here’s all the makeup I got rid of this round. Basically for all of that, I either wasn’t using it and no longer wanted to, they were old and tired (I’m looking at you, H.I.P.-it’s been real), or I didn’t like the scent/shade and was done trying to make it work. Pretty much the reason you’d get rid of anything :).
So guys, what have you used up that you are definitely getting again- and what didn’t make the mark?!As always I love to hear your thoughts!
Stay cool, or rather- keep WARM!