Welcome back, Beauts! So now we’re in the Christmas season, so magical and so fun, yet so fleeting and hectic. I don’t know about you, but by the time I’m finally ready to bring out a tray of Christmas cookies and throw on a Santa hat, it’s over. And then I have to wait another year to attempt to get back into it. What gives?! And as you get older, more things happen in life and it only gets crazier and goes by faster!
I remember being a kid and it felt like forever before Christmas came. The anticipation was so fun! Because back then, Christmas and maybe your birthday were pretty much the only times you could give someone a huge list of stuff you wanted without feeling weird (at least that’s how I’d feel now), and you were too little to buy yourself stuff so you had to wait. And you didn’t have all of the adult responsibilities keeping you preoccupied.
These days, Christmas and the holidays are still all about getting together with family and keeping traditions alive, and now I have a son so it’s important that I try to make it special for him too. I wouldn’t change a thing, but I will say that the motherhood aspect makes the season a lot more hectic and a lot more of a balancing act.
I’m not the type who can start doing Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. And these past two years, decorating right after Thanksgiving through the start of December hasn’t quite been working out for us either due to lack of time and energy. (I’m assuming that gets better? In 5 years maybe?).
The first week of December has come and gone, and yes, there are pumpkins and scarecrows still chillin on our front steps. But the decorations WILL go up (even if at a snail’s pace) and we will get our tree soon too, hopefully! I guess the point of all this is that no matter how hectic things get or how quickly it all goes, that we all get a moment to relish and actually enjoy the the holidays a little more!
I want to share some things I enjoy doing (or would like to do) this time of year in an effort to really get into the season. I know you can’t always force that Christmas mood- sometimes you’re either into it and other times not. But if you’re looking for that little something to get you there, I hope this gives you some inspiration!
- Festive mani-pedis. Who wouldn’t feel just a tad more Christmas-y with red/green/sparkly nails?! And paint that ring finger a different color. Add some glitter nail polish. You know you want to.
2. When it comes to clothes and accessories- I try to bust out the red, the green, the obnoxious Christmas stuff you can’t really rock any other time of the year! There are some ridiculously corny yet irresistible holiday shirts out there that I’m all of a sudden tempted to get. Maybe it’s the 30’s teacher thing in me, I don’t know. I just know I need them.
3.Christmas music! This is an obvious one but it works. Everyone has a favorite. I made a whole bunch of Christmas CDs over the years that I have in rotation for my car rides to get me in that festive mood. Some Mariah, Dean Martin- I could go on!
4.Holiday scents. Maybe it’s a candle, body spray, car air freshener etc. but scent is one of those things that can really get me in that mood! Love peppermint and the smell of a Christmas tree or spiced apple. Just take a walk into Bath and Body Works and have your pick!
5. Walk the mall or some festive shopping place. This is the time of year where I just love being around all the bustle. I get why people avoid it, but I love it. Everything is decorated and sales are being shoved down your throat like crazy…ahhh!
6. Holiday Drinks! Something about holding holiday cups in my hand and drinking a seasonal drink (I love peppermint, caramel, and gingerbread flavors) just make me feel so cozy and get me in that frame of mind- and that’s just the non-alcoholic stuff. I’ll leave you to search Pinterest for all the other drinks but yes, you can have lots of fun with those kinda drinks too. Not that you needed me to tell you that!
7. Decorate. It doesn’t have to be full blown Pottery-Barn price range status but some garland can be a game-changer! As I said earlier, I’ve been a little slow to decorate in recent years, but the plastic bin of decor finally made its way to my living room and we’ve sloooowly started putting small things out here and there. But once we get into the swing, it’ll be great! And when we eventually get our tree, we’ll be golden. Your surroundings really affect your mood!
8. Holiday cards! There are so many cute layouts and pictures you can add to make it personal and they can be so fun to give and receive! I’ve tried Vistaprint and Shutterfly but there are tons of sites to choose from. I love hanging cards on my wall too.
9. Dressy lips! I take complete advantage of the holiday season as a time to bring out my darker lip colors. I don’t really do Oxblood/deep red lips in the warmer months so I really try to play with them more while I can! So dressy and so fun!
10. Read some Christmas blog posts! There are plenty out there in case you haven’t noticed! Blogmas is going strong right now. Blogmas is when bloggers go all out posting every day until Christmas (which I did not commit to this year but kudos to those who did!), and it’s usually holiday-themed topics or ideas. Google it to check out the hype and find some to read!
11. Throw on a Christmas movie or some cheesy Christmas program. Elf. It’s a Wonderful Life. The Hallmark Channel if you can stomach it-I got into the Hallmark Channel last year- I’m late to the game but I’m into it. It’s corny but I’ve grown accustomed to checking in when I need something Christmasy to flip on.
12. Christmas crafts! Don’t get the wrong idea. I barely have time to do any type of craft these days unless I’m at work (I work with kids), but there are some really easy holiday crafts you can make if you wanted to. Maybe an ornament or Advent Calendar could be a fun thing to make, or a Christmas collage. Or if you have kids in your life, maybe try making something with them that won’t be super difficult. Pinterest has way more ideas than I do but making something can be really nice!
13. Bake something. It doesn’t have to be from scratch. If you’re a cut-the-dough and slap it in the oven type, go for it. They have ready-made reindeer in the dough now. Just sayin.
14. Gift-giving! From Pollyanna to white elephants or any other way of giving and receiving, you’ll find people who want to take part! They can be so fun and even hilarious! And the warm fuzzies you get when someone opens a gift you picked out? Priceless.
15. Go to a holiday party. Doesn’t matter how or where, it’s just nice to dress up, hear some Christmas songs and catch up with everyone over some bubbly and a snowman-designed cheese display!
16. Check out the Christmas lights! Take a walk around thhe neighborhood or drive around at night- I love seeing what people do to their homes, no matter how grand or simple.
Hope you found some inspiration or motivation to get into holiday spirit! What are your favorite ways to celebrate or get into this time of year?